Wednesday, May 7, 2008

How The Big Lebowski Made Me Want To Be A Better Jew, & The Only Bad Thing About The Movie

"3,000 Years of Beautiful Tradition from Moses to Sandy Koufax
YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT I'M FUCKING LIVING IN THE PAST!"



Ah yes, the universal inspiration for all us Long Island Jews that just aren't that religious. And by Long Island Jew, I mean that I went to a Jewish sleep-away camp for the last decade of my life. There, I always wished I was more... Jewish. Yet by the time I got home and school started, I cared just as much as I did before I left for the summer.

Though it might be sad that it took Walter Sobchak (John Goodman) from
The Big Lebowski for me to finally see the light - as long as it happens, right? The aforementioned quote really got me thinking. Jews are always talking about their past, and things that happened throughout their history. Yet I guess we have good reason to.

Yes, I say "we" because although I'm not extremely religious, I definitely consider myself Jewish, and proud of it. After all, we have Moses and Sandy Koufax on our side.

I don't want to harp on the subject in a preaching manner; that is not my intention. I just found it interesting that such an inspiration quote can come from such an odd source.

"Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't get in a car, I don't pick up the phone, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as shit don't fucking roll! Shomer Shabbos! Shomer fuckin' Shabbos!"

One last thing to note about The Big Lebowski... there is by my count one, and only one, very very bad thing about the movie. The scene where the Dude, Walter and Donny leave the bowling alley only to find that the Dude's car is not there spawned the 83 minute waste of time, energy and resources known as Dude, Where's My Car? (2000). As Walter uttered those five fateful words, "Dude... where is your car?" - Some schmuck named Philip Stark got the inspiration to write a script that turned into that awful movie. It wasn't your fault Lebowski, but it is still a shame.

No comments: